Bariatric surgery helps to reduce weight. Most of the people who underwent this surgery say that they do not regret having it and that it has quite a number of advantages. There are few things to expect after this surgery.
1. The Recovery Period
The period of recovery depends on the type of bariatric surgery. The time stayed at the hospital is also dependent on the procedure that was used in carrying out the surgery.
The time taken for you to get back to your normal activities can also vary from 3 to 14 days. Pain is also variable and it can range from mild to a pain that can be managed using drugs.
2. The Quantity of Weight You Loose
Different procedures of bariatric surgery will determine the amount of weight you lose. One may lose twenty-five percent to ninety percent of the excessive weight they had.
You can talk to your doctor and determine the type of procedure that will help you lose the most weight. Exercises are also a good way to help you lose more weight after the procedure.
3. Health Improvements
After a weight loss surgery, obese people may have significant improvements in their health. Such improvements may include:
- Reduced cases of asthma.
- The risk of developing cardiovascular complications reduces by more than seventy percent.
- Less risks of getting diabetes.
- It is estimated that high blood pressure reduces by more than fifty percent.
It is also easier to maintain pregnancy after a weight reduction surgery than when obese. If you become pregnant, make sure that your doctor is aware of it.
4. Support Groups
After a bariatric surgery you may be required or advised to join various groups to help you lead a better healthy life. This is usually aimed at helping you avoid getting back to your previous habits such as poor dietary routines.
Exercise session groups help to ensure that you have enough and the best quality exercises to boost your health.
5. Side effects of the Bariatric Surgery
This is a problem that affects a significant number of people undergoing gastric bypass surgery. Although harmless under most circumstances, they are known to cause complications such as abdominal pains and in some cases feeling of sickness in the stomach and throwing up.
An average of twenty percent who have this type of surgery may need to have another surgery to get rid of their gallbladders.
This is where you experience less bowel movement. It is one of the most common occurrences after a bariatric surgery. You can get tips on how to deal with constipation from your doctor.
C. Infections on the Surgical Wounds
This is a problem which happens across all surgical procedures. Sometimes the surgical wounds get infected causing other problems. It is usually characterized by symptoms such as pain, reddening of the affected region and in some cases pus may be produced.
D. Blood in the Stool
There are cases where you may find yourself passing blood in the stool. This can be a very serious issue which needs to be addressed by a doctor immediately. Hence ensure to rush to the hospital if it happens even once.
This is a rare occurrence which could happen after the surgery. Pain in the abdomen and feeling sick are some of the symptoms that may alert you of this problem. Make sure to inform your doctor immediately if you suspect that this is going to happen.
6. Other Challenges
Sometimes there are other problems that may emerge after the surgery. One such problem is the development of sagging skin. If you experience this, talk to your doctor to identify ways to get rid of the excess skin. One method used is plastic surgery.
Gaining weight once again is also another issue that can be a challenge after the surgery. You should discuss this problem with your doctor so that they can help you come up with ways to reduce your weight.
Tips on the Lifestyle Changes You Should Make after Having Bariatric Surgery
- Do not overeat. After the surgery the volume of food your stomach can accommodate will be less than what it was previously. Therefore, try to eat small meals at frequent intervals rather than great quantities at once.
- Try to have a balanced diet. Avoid junk food and foods with high calories as they can cause an increase in weight. You can get the help of a dietitian to plan on what you should be eating.
- Engage in helpful exercises. Exercises are a great way to help reduce the weight and keep fit. Make sure to exercise regularly. It may actually be easier to do them now as the lost weight makes it easier for your joints to support your body as you exercise.
The Bottom Line
Bariatric surgery mostly gives very good results. You can discuss with your doctor about the various things on what to expect after the surgery.
If the results do not seem as promising as expected, report to the doctor and you will be helped on how to lose more weight through other means. Avoid getting back to your old lifestyle habits and also seek help from family and friends as they will really help you adapt to your new lifestyle.
Most of the complications that may arise from bariatric surgery are usually characterized by abdominal pain. Hence if you ever experience it even once, book an appointment with your doctor immediately.
- Factors to be expected after bariatric surgery.
- Side effects of bariatric surgery.
- Tips on the lifestyle changes one should make after the surgery.