Brand: Aczone gel
Aczone gel is a topical treatment for acne vulgaris of the skin. This medication contains 5% dapsone (50 mg in 1 gram), which is a type of drug known as a sulfone. This gel is to be applied to the skin.
It is available in a 3-gram laminate tube (professional sample) and a 30-gram plastic tube.
You should use Aczone gel as prescribed by your physician.
- Wash the area of the skin to be treated first with soap and water and gently pat dry with a clean towel.
- Aczone gel should be applied as a thin layer to the areas of the skin with acne.
- Rub the medicine in gently and completely. Use twice a day; once in the morning and once in the evening.
- Place the cap back on the tube and close it tightly. Place in the original box.
- Wash hands after applying Aczone gel.
Avoid contact with eyes, mouth and other mucous membranes. Do not swallow. If you swallow it, contact your doctor or poison control center right away.
If your condition persists for 12 weeks despite treatment, seek medical help.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as prescribed by your doctor or as stated on the package label.
Aczone may interact with the following medications:
- Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (TMP/SMX
- St. John's wort
- Folic acid antagonists such as pyrimethamine
There are no side effects known aside from a possible allergic reaction in people who have previous or unknown hypersensitivity to the drug.
Watch out for signs of allergic reactions such as:
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have the following:
- A history of anemia
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency
- Pregnancy or lactation