Plastic Surgeon Questions Scars

Scars from burns

How can I minimize scarring from a burn? Hot water was spilled on my lap so the burns are in my groin area.

11 Answers

Hello, please make sure you do not have any secondary complications, such as infection, by consulting with a physician. Following that, you can use antibiotic ointment for two weeks to prevent an infection and week three you can begin using a s at cream such as Mederma. You can also visit my website at for further information and assistance. Good luck to you
Without seeing your burn in person it is difficult to offer treatment. I would need to understand if you have any oral antibiotics being used or silver sulfadiazine. Once the skin heals over you could consider using Plato's Scar Serum, PDL, and fractional laser to improve your scar depending on if you are a candidate. I would suggest consulting in person with a board certified plastic surgeon.
Yes, we can by using fat graft and stem cell. Pls send us some photos.

Depending on the degree/severity of your burns, a fraxel laser may reduce the appearance of the scars. A consultation would be required to see if you are a candidate for that treatment.
It’s hard to say without knowing the depth. Superficial partial thickness burns, (clear fluid-filled blisters) are usually best left intact until they rupture and then need to be debriefed or cleaned-up by a doctor. However, deep partial-thickness burns are much more variable and require specialized care.

I would recommend being examined by a Plastic Surgeon who can offer the full range of care options. This limits pain, risk of infection, and potential scarring which could require surgery.

Dr. Gerstle
I recommend using a lot of moisturizer such as Aquaphor, as well as topical silicone ointment.
If you did not get any blisters from the burn, your skin should heal without any visible scarring. There might be some hyperpigmentation. You can treat that with a bleaching cream once the wound has healed. If it was a deep burn, invest in silicon gel and apply this twice a day. Massage the area with some force, but not to the degree of pain or injuring the skin further.
Thank you for your question. I'm sorry you suffered this burn. If it's significant area, I would recommend that you visit a doctor to evaluate the depth and extent of injury. It is best to keep areas moist and covered for best healing. Use non-stick gauze and antibiotic ointment. Once the areas are healed, you may start using scar products on it such as silicone gel and sheets and also massage the scar. Hope this answers your question. Hope you heal soon.

Olga Bachilo, MD
It depends on what degree burn you sustained. The deeper burns (3rd degree) may respond to pressure therapy.
Scar or burn revision may be needed.
Hot water usually causes second degree burns. This is accompanied by redness and blistering of the skin. It is painful. Wash the area with soap and water several times a day and then cover with an antibiotic ointment or Silvadene cream. After the skin heals, massage it often with a moisturizing cream. Continue until all the redness is gone.