Dentist Questions Chipped tooth

What should I do for my chipped tooth?

Yesterday while chewing on some nuts, my tooth chipped right in the front. What should I do for it now? What type of procedure is required for a chipped tooth, if there is any?

23 Answers

Bonding is an easy and quick way to fix this
Chewing on nuts, biting into apples is a risk. Some how you can have a crack in the enamel of your teeth. You may have had an accident. You hit your mouth. Car accidents. Even childhood accidents. While looking in a patients' mouth I see cracks in the enamel. Because enamel is the strongest part of your tooth, a crack, can weaken your tooth. You may not have any pain. Chewing on ice. using your teeth like tools, (opening items with your teeth), you place pressure, strong forces enough to cause a part of your tooth to crack. If the crack extends into the nerve, you will have pain. Some times your tooth crack can be smooth out and it will blend with the rest of your front teeth. Placing a RESTORATION on the edge of your tooth will work if you don't bite Into anything hard. Eating or biting into a piece of bread or toast,can act like glue and the RESTORATION may loosen. If the chip is bothering you. you may have to find a dentist to take care of your emergency.

Depends upon how badly it is chipped and at what angle. Typically a chipped tooth can be restored using either composite bonding or porcelain veneer. One costs more but looks better and lasts much longer. The other is less costly intially but doesn't last more than ten years.
Have a dentist check it.
This happens very often! As we age, our teeth become more brittle and chip easily. Luckily, it is a very easy fix. I would recommend seeing a General Dentist with cosmetic experience. It could be as easy as placing Bonding, or even placing a Veneer.
This depends on the size of the chips. If the chip is small and limited to the outer tooth structure they can often be smoothed with no additional treatment required. Larger chips can be restored through binding and composite restorations. If the chip is larger yet the tooth may require a crown and/or root canal. The size of chip and desired results play a large factor here.
Your dentist will judiciously free sculpt the Ragged edges where the fracture occurred and apply some varnish to eliminate the sensitivity. Then at some point in the future he will do a composite veneer restoration to restore the incisal edge that fractured
Depending on how badly the tooth is chipped, you can leave it as is as long as it doesn't bother you. It might need to be smoothed out a little, it might need bonding, or a laminate or crown. Check with your dentist.
It depends on how big the chip is. A dentist can either smooth it if it is sharp or keep an eye on it. Or fix it with a filling.
Usually this is a very easy fix. Just contact your dentist and they will correct the chipped area with tooth colored resin and it will look as good as new.
If the chip is mild and the tooth is not sensitive, dental bonding is a very conservative way to fix your chip. It is an additive procedure to replace what got chipped. It is done the same day and costs much less than a porcelain crown or veneer.
Let your dentist look at the tooth. Depending on how much damage was done, will depend the necessary treatment.  
Depending on the extent of the fracture or chip, a bonding procedure with tooth colored filling material (composite) should be fine.

Josh Alter DMD, MS
You should see a dentist immediately. Depending on the area, dentist can put a tooth colored filling or a crown on it.
As long as the chip is not a 1/3 of the tooth or larger, you restore the tooth with a composite bonding. The color will be matched to your natural teeth, and it will look very natural. This procedure is considered a filling. Be aware however, that this material will stain over the years, and probably after 5-7 years you will need to redo the filling.

Kind regards,
Dr. Saad
There are numerous ways to repair chipped tooth depending on type of fracture and tooth condition or position in the mouth. If you are experiencing pain, I would suggest to seek help as soon as possible. If you are not in any discomfort, it is still a good idea to follow up with a dentist and assess the tooth. Treatment for this type of trauma may vary from simple polishing of the area, repairing tooth with a composite (filling) material to more complex procedures such as onlay or crown restorations.
If your chip is small, all you need is a bonding (white filling that blends with your tooth). Selecting a dentist trained in cosmetic dentistry can help you have a bonded tooth that can look seamless as though nothing has ever happened to your tooth. In rare cases and the chip is large, you may need a veneer or a crown. A conservative dentist will chose a minimally invasive solution for you and avoid removing healthy tooth structure while building back your tooth.
First, you need to see your dentist to take X-ray to make sure it's not involving the nerve then decide if it can be restored with regular filling material or if it needs a crown or possible root canal treatment.
Depending on how much tooth structure is chipped, it could be just bonding, veneer or crown (if more than half of the tooth structure is gone).
Depending on the size of the break, it could be a small filling or it might need a crown. A dentist needs to take an X-ray to determine the extent of the break and other issues with the tooth, and then they can give you a treatment plan to get you back together.
Hello! It really depends on the size of the chip. The treatment can either be simply buffing the tooth to make it smooth, bonding or placement of a veneer or crown.
It would depend where the chip is and how much has chipped. It could be as simple as smoothing the area to needing a crown on the tooth.

Dr. J. Ladd Williams
It really depends on the condition of your tooth, the tooth and teeth it bites on and any previous treatments you may have had. If you already had crowns, root canals or fillings, you may need a new crown or even a root canal if the tooth split. If it’s a corner that chipped off, and there isn’t any decay, then you may get away with a filling... however, if the lower tooth is hitting it harder than the other teeth, it may need to be addressed too.

Dr G