It is also not uncommon to have a little redness around the area where the needle was inserted. This redness usually passes within a few hours to a day. Sometimes, the skin can pucker under the needle and you'll have a little bump after it's removed. Again, this usually resolves on it's own after some time.
1. It's a normal reaction from acupuncture therapy, but should not last more than 24 hours from the treatment.
2. You can request the practitioner to change the needle into a silver needle.
3. 99% of needles are disposable and made of steel.
However, if there is just slight redness on the location where the needles were inserted, this is a normal response. Actually, a preferred response. That is showing the acupuncturist that your body is reacting to the treatment!
If there are any pus, weird rash shapes, or any dark discoloration, contact your doctor immediately or go to the emergency room.
I cannot know without knowing your case or what the rash looks like, so go back to the practitioner and show them. A topical, over-the -counter rash ointment might be all you need, but if it gets worse, check for infection.
You can certainly ask the practitioner to use a different brand of needle, because some of them have silicon coatings to make the insertion smoother and that might be an irritant to you.
So, go back to the acupuncturist and show them so they can assess - I cannot advise without seeing it myself.
It's difficult to provide a course of action for you for a couple of reasons:
1. I don't know what you were being treated for, what points were used or what brand needle your provider was utilizing.
2. If it was an allergic reaction, it may escalate to a more serious condition called anaphylaxis with repeated exposure to the allergen. In other words: you want to pin down the cause of the reaction before you try another round of acupuncture.
To be 100% on the safe side, I'd suggest you find an allergist and have some allergy testing done. If you can, you're going to want to rule in/out steel or stainless steel - and I have no idea if this is even in the scope of most allergy testing. You also may want to try to rule in/rule out silicone (for reasons explained below).
Another important thing to note here is: Seirin brand needles, which many acupuncturists use, contain a small drop of medical grade silicone at the tip. If your provider is using Seirin needles, it's very possible that your reaction was to the silicone rather than the needle itself. If this is the case, then switching to another brand of needle should resolve the issue.
Whatever you decide, make sure you talk to your acupuncture provider about what happened.