Orthodontist Questions Bite problem

My daughter is 13 years old and has a bite problem. What will be the course of treatment?

My daughter is 13 years old and has a bite problem, where her lower jaw is ahead of the upper jaw. What will be the course of treatment?

11 Answers

Depends on the severity. She still has some growth left which works in her favor. You should get her in to see an orthodontist as soon as possible.
Assuming your are describing an under-bite (anterior cross-bite). Hard to say what best treatment would be without seeing the severity, but options are, but not limited to:
Mild: Braces and elastics (rubber bands)
Moderate: Lower teeth extractions + braces
Severe: Braces + jaw surgery

Note: sometimes we can use a "reveres pull face mask (headgear)", but at age 13, this may not be as effective as if used at young age.

An Orthodontic Specialist is definitely recommended to advise in these cases.
When the lower jaw and teeth are ahead of the upper teeth and jaw, that condition is called Class III. It is sometimes possible that the problem is only tooth related, and can be corrected with braces accompanied by other appliances. If, however, the problem is the jaw bones themselves, then the only option is to finish the growth of the jaws, and have the problem surgically corrected. Sometimes, it is possible during the growth of the face to modify the directions of growth of the jaws and prevent the need for surgery. I would recommend you seek the services of a real orthodontist ASAP.
Your daughter should be examined by an orthodontist as soon as possible. This type of bite needs intervention to be corrected. Depending on the underlying reason for this bite, there might be a treatment with braces that can correct it, but the sooner it is evaluated the less chance that it can lead to other problems. Sometimes, a correction of this type of bite might require a surgical correction as well. An orthodontist should be able to advise you once they have examined your daughter.
Sometimes the upper jaw can be protracted with a reverse-type headgear. Sometimes its just elastics and braces. Other times its surgery on the jaws. She needs to be evaluated.
Hello and thanks for the question.

There are several possibilities for treatment of underbite. It's best to get a free consultation at a certified orthodontic specialist to find the correct course of action. Hope that helps.

Dr. Gibson
Get an examination done with full records and x rays of the jaws by an orthodontist and based on these a treatment plan individualized to your daughtrs jaws and tooth positions can be made.
No one size fits all in orthodontics!!
Your daughter should have an examination and diagnosis by an orthodontist.
The recommendation will probably be that she should have orthodontic treatment now while she is still growing, and possibly more at age 16 when she stops growing.
The first thing is to have your daughter evaluated. Schedule a new patient exam/consultation to determine her needs. The orthodontist will be able to determine the best course of action to give your daughter a beautiful smile and a functional occlusion! Simply call your friendly neighborhood orthodontist, and they will make an appointment for you!

Dr. Logeman
The first step is to check your dental insurance and see if you have orthodontic benefits. If so, be sure to go with an in-network orthodontist. Either way, a consultation with an orthodontist should answer all of your questions. Consultations are typically free of charge.

Unfortunately, this question does not have a simple answer. There are a lot of different possibilities for your daughter's treatment. The only way to know for sure is for you to make an appointment with an orthodontist and have a thorough clinical examination and diagnostic records. This will give the orthodontist all of the information that they need to thoroughly study your daughter's individual case and determine the best treatment for her.

I hope this helps.

Dr. TS