Orthodontist Questions Crooked Teeth

My son's permanent teeth are growing crooked. What should I do?

My son is 8 years old and his back teeth are growing in a crooked shape. These are his permanent teeth so I am worried. Is this common? Are they likely to straighten out?

11 Answers

8 is a perfect time for an orthodontic screening examination. Call your local orthodontist or seek out a referral.
Best advice is to see an Orthodontist. He/She can tell you if there is an issue, and if this is the best time to address. Crooked back teeth are at risk for excessive tooth wear (attrition).
Make an appointment with an orthodontist to get an exam/consultation. He will assess the problem(s), and determine if any interceptive treatment might be necessary at this time...or treatment can wait until it's time for braces when all or at least most of the permanent teeth are in.
Back teeth that are growing incorrectly normally don't straighten on their own, so I would see an orthodontist for an exam. The orthodontist will be able to tell you if early intervention is necessary or they may just to do follow up visits to monitor the growth of the teeth.
Natures orthodontist are the muscles of the tongue and lips. Once teeth erupt in the mouth, the forces from muscles can improve their position. Best getting an early orthodontics consult to assess that the correct number are forming and no problems exist.
The American Association of Orthodontists recommends an orthodontic evaluation for all children by the age of 7. Very few children of this age need orthodontic treatment, yet your orthodontist can help your dentist plan for proper permanent tooth eruption.
Hope this helps.


Dr. Gibson
Schedule an examination with an orthodontist. Bad bites usually get worse with time. Patients seldom outgrow them. Some early treatment may put your son's teeth back on track. He should be re-examined from time to time to see if more treatment is needed.
It is very common for adult teeth to come in out of alignment. Unfortunately, they are unlikely to move into alignment on their own without orthodontic treatment. I recommend you get a consultation with an orthodontist, which should be free of charge. Many dental insurance policies cover orthodontic treatment, so be sure to check your policy and work with an in-network provider.
Schedule an evaluation with an orthodontist :)


Tony Skanchy, DMD, MDS
Although some people do have their permanent teeth grow in crooked, it is something that you should have your local orthodontist take a look at. Typically, crooked back teeth will not improve on their own. A visit with an orthodontist should clarify for you what is going on for you and if he needs help, the orthodontist should be able to advise you as to what can be done to fix it. Most orthodontists will evaluate patients free of charge.
I would consult with your primary care dentist first. This is the age the American Association of Orthodontics recommend your child to have their first consultation. Your Orthodontist may recommend treatment if he or she sees any issues with the development of your son's teeth or jaws. Each case is different, so I cannot provide an answer without records to analyze the case. I hope this helps...Dr. B!