How can I Treat Acne?
Acne, also known as blackheads, pimples, zits, and blemishes, can be very annoying and embarrassing. It is caused by the clogging of the pores in the skin by dead cells and oily secretions. While acne is usually found on the face, it can sometimes be found on the neck, back and chest. Acne treatment should begin when it flares suddenly or when mild acne remains persistent for a long time or when there is a chance of it leading to scarring.
In most of the cases, acne can be prevented by simple skin care and home remedies. Some of these include
- Keep the skin clean by washing it gently without too much scrubbing
- Wash skin with a gentle cleanser after activities that cause sweating. Do avoid washing too often
- Look out for hair products like gels, rinses, and pomanades that contain more oil content. Use home remedies instead
- Do not touch face often with hands
- Avoid using harsh chemicals
Treatment of acne at home follows three steps – opening skin pores, killing bacteria and reducing the oil content.
- Pores of the skin can be opened up using mild cleansing products. This will also help in reducing irritation of the skin. Mild exfoliating masks and cleansers are good to remove the dead skin cells thus de-clogging the pores. Cleansers and moisturizers containing alpha-hydroxy acid are effective in removing the dead cells and opening the pores.
- Cleansers containing benzoyl peroxide are useful in removing microorganisms from the skin. Topical applications like gels, creams, and lotions contain active ingredients for killing bacteria. Products containing tea tree oil like gels, creams, and lotions are also effective against the bacteria.
- Oil content of the skin can be reduced by using gentle astringent or toner. Masks containing sulphur are also known to be good in bringing down the oil content that cause acne.
Mild antibiotics can be controlled by gentle cleansing and application of benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. If the condition persists, meet your doctor for a stronger prescription medication. People with severe forms of acne may require stronger medications or a combination therapy to clear the blemishes and to prevent scarring. Apart from applying benzoyl peroxide, one also will have to get the pimples drained by a doctor. They may require prescription gels, creams, retinoids, or antibiotics to control the acne.
If you have undergone treatment and are now worried about the scars left behind, there are a number of procedures that can help in removing scars. Many scars go on their own without any specific treatment. Procedures like dermabrasion and laser resurfacing are effective in giving you flawless skin.
- Acne can usually be treated using simple home remedies in most cases.
- Opening skin pores and removing bacteria from the skin are important in treating acne.
- Scars caused by acne can be treated using a number of procedures.