You may find yourself wondering how to maintain a healthy and slim physique without eliminating snacks. In the past, diet programs often eliminated snacking as the first and fastest way to reduce calories. Today, common knowledge is that snacks don't prevent weight loss if smart choices are made. In fact, snacking can help with weight loss by regulating blood sugar content and maintaining energy levels.
Snacks Promote Weight Loss
- Snacks should contain small amounts of protein and monounsaturated fats. This will leave you feeling satisfied and supply energy. Good examples are nuts, soy, avocados and olive oil.
- Food with low glycemic index – Include more vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and beans. This prevents a spike in blood sugar levels, which is normally caused by sugar-laden snacks like cookies, candies, and cakes. Sugar levels drop suddenly after the spike occurs, resulting in new cravings for more food.
- Opt for snacks that contain more fiber and nutrients – Combinations of foods that provide fiber and important nutrients give health benefits and prevents the addition of empty calorie snacking.
- Snacks with soluble fibers – Oats and fruits, such as apples, citrus, kiwi, and berries. Vegetables, peas, and beans are a rich source of soluble fibers that help in giving a full feeling and also regulating the blood sugar level.
- Snacks with low glycemic index – These snacks release energy and sugars slowly over a period of time, thus giving a steady flow of energy. Opt for lean meat, fish, avocados, salad, vegetables, eggs, and cheese.
- Choose variety of nuts – Having an ounce of nuts, like hazelnuts, pistachios, macadamias, walnuts, and almonds, would provide fiber, good fats, protein, and a little carbohydrates.
- Fruit with cereal and milk – Choose fruits with low glycemic index and have it with yogurt, milk, or cottage cheese to give the right dose of carbohydrates and fiber.
Remember to always eat your snack slowly and maintain quantity and portion size.