Dr. Jeannette Kerns, AP, DOM, L.Ac., is a top acupuncturist in Florida and owner of East Lake Acupuncture and Soldier City Acupuncture in Saint Cloud, Florida. With a passion for helping others and an unwavering commitment to her patients, Dr. Kerns is a prime example of a true leader in healthcare. Dr. Kerns is well-known... more
For many, a good night's sleep is cause for celebration. There are a myriad of causes and cures for insomnia, countless books and articles have been written on the topic, research conducted and studies published, yet there is still no 'cure' for insomnia. This is likely because there is no single cause for insomnia. There are many, and the key to addressing yours is discovering why you can't sleep and from there, try to fix the root problem or find a product suited to your unique needs.
If you're like most Americans, you've spent years and hundreds of dollars searching for the perfect sleep remedy that won't leave you foggy-headed and sluggish in the morning. Most of us have medicine cabinets packed full of half-full bottles of herbs, pills, teas and essential oils; each abandoned after failing us and dashing our hopes.
Through my work with combat veterans suffering from a combination of pain and emotional trauma preventing quality sleep, I've narrowed the search down to a handful of sleep aids that provide the best results for my patients.
Below is a list of the most common reasons for sleeplessness reported in my acupuncture clinic:
- Inability to shut the mind down (stress, anxiety, overthinking, PTSD, worry, depression)
- Overheated (could be hormones or even mineral or melatonin deficiency)
- Frequent urination (prostatitis)
- Light sleeper or noise exposure (noisy neighbors, dorm rooms, barracks, etc.)
- Hormonal issues (thyroid, menopause, etc.)
- Breathing problems (allergies, asthma, sinusitis, cough, sleep apnea)
- Restless Leg Syndrome
- Medication side effects
- Disrupted sleep schedule (job, school, parenthood, etc.)
- Dietary (eating too late, heartburn, acid reflux, caffeine)
Over the years, I've helped many patients find the perfect sleep aid for them. Below is a list of those I've found to provide myself and my patients with the best results:
- Great sleep is one of the most common benefits of acupuncture, regardless of what condition we are treating.
Sleep® by Vitality Works™
- This combination of melatonin and valerian root and several strong herbs with muscle relaxer and sedative effects has been our best-selling sleep aid for years. However, since we started selling CBD last year, the CBD Soothe Syrup is fast becoming our best-seller.
- Great for those suffering from overactive mind, muscle aches and cramps and melatonin deficiency.
CBD Soothe Syrup® by Green Roads™
- This combination of CBD and melatonin knocks me out in about ten minutes and I sleep deeply the entire night. I have tried other CBD products and some work well enough, but this one is the one my patients and I keep repurchasing.
Chinese Herbal Formulas
- There are quite a few powerful and highly effective Chinese herbal sleep formulas; however, each is prescribed based on very specific symptoms, so what is right for you may not be right for your loved ones.
- The goal of these formulas is not to simply make you sleepy, but to restore balance and address the underlying cause of your insomnia so hopefully you won’t need to take anything.
- An herbalist experienced in Chinese herbs can recommend the best formula based on your symptoms. These herbs are highly effective for good reason, a great deal of consideration goes into proper selection.
Muscle Cramp & Tension Formula® by Pure Encapsulations™
- This is one of our more popular products for general muscle cramps, leg cramps and restless leg syndrome. It’s a wonderful blend of minerals (magnesium/Calcium) and strong muscle relaxing, analgesic (pain killing) and calming herbs.
CBD-infused Chamomile Tea by Green Roads™
- Their tea provides a relaxing and pleasant experience that helps to relieve stress on the mind and body while delivering all the benefits of CBD.
There are literally thousands of sleep aids on the market and trust me, between myself and my patients, we’ve tried most of them! There are many great products out there. This list is merely a list of my best sellers that have stood the test of time.
Please speak with your healthcare provider before taking supplements. Melatonin, CBD and many herbs may interact with medications or have side effects.