Prostate cancer is a serious condition that is increasingly affecting many men around the world. It happens when cells in the prostate gland grow abnormally and without control. It is also a condition that does not show any symptoms, especially in its early stages. As the condition gradually develops, only then it starts showing its symptoms. However, prostate cancer can be detected early by going through a prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test or a digital rectal exam (DRE) during a physical examination.
Sex Hormone Depressors
According to various scientific reports, prostate cancer is related to different sex hormones in the body. Testosterone hormones produced by men are known to provide nutritional benefits to prostate cancer cells. As a result, some medications are meant to prevent the production of these sex hormones; hence, limiting the growth of prostate cancer cells.
Sex hormone depressors are chemicals that meant to inhibit the production or activation of sex hormones; hence, reducing the risk of developing prostate cancer. Like any other prostate cancer treatment therapies, the use of hormone depressors also has side effects.
Side Effects of Sex Hormone Depressors
- Changes in sex life - If you are undergoing a hormonal therapy treatment, there will be changes in your sexual desires. Lack of enough hormones leads to a decreased interest towards sex.
- Orgasm and ejaculation changes - In some cases, men will experience changes in the type of orgasm they experience. It is also possible to notice a decreased amount of semen produced.
- Penile size - sex hormones also affect the size of your penis.
- Erectile dysfunction - there is a big relationship between your hormones and your erection. As a result of changes in your hormones, you may experience erection problems. Other problems related to this dysfunction include maintaining an erection during sexual intercourse.
How long can you experience the side effects?
Having side effects related to hormonal treatment varies depending on different factors. The duration may vary with the health of the patient, treatment period, and other conditions such as management strategies. The side effects may be experienced for months. As long as you are under medication, you will experience the side effects.
Side Effects Management
Different steps can be employed to manage various side effects brought by sex hormone depressors. It also depends on how comfortable you are in handling such side effects. Your overall health also matters in issues concerning the side effects.
Visiting a doctor can help you discuss the best strategies for managing the side effects. One of the steps is using medications that boost your sex ability. You can take medicines before having sex to help your erection. Injections are also employed to help you maintain an erection during sexual intercourse.
The Bottom Line
Depending on the type of treatment you apply for prostate cancer, there will always be long-term or short-term side effects. Before you use any treatment methods, you should see a doctor to discuss the issue. A doctor will help you understand the benefits and side effects of the treatment options available.
- Side effects of sex hormone depressors
- Relationship between prostate cancer and sex hormone depressors