The IP 204 pill is white in color and oval or elliptical in shape with an imprint of "IP 204". It has been identified as acetaminophen and oxycodone hydrochloride in the strength of 325 mg of acetaminophen and 10 mg of oxycodone. This pill is supplied by Amneal Pharmaceuticals.
The size of this pill is 11 mm and it is mostly available on prescription. It belongs to the narcotic analgesic drug class combinations. The generic name is oxycodone and acetaminophen. It is available both in capsule and tablet forms. It is mostly available under the brand names of Percocet and Endocet. This medicine is usually taken to achieve pain relief. It is a narcotic analgesic, so it can be habit-forming if taken inappropriately.
- Let the doctor know if you are allergic to oxycodone or acetaminophen or any of the other ingredients present in the medicine.
- If you are allergic to any other drugs or medications, foods, or other substances, it is important to inform your doctor about it, especially if you experience itching, fever, unable to breathe properly, swelling of the tongue, lips, face, or throat as well as coughing or wheezing.
- The doctor should also be informed if you experience breathing difficulties, lung disease, asthma, lack of sleep or sleep disorders, high levels of carbon dioxide present in the blood, and abdominal issues such as bowel blockage or obstruction.
- Inform your doctor if you have been taking or are taking certain kinds of drugs for the treatment of depression or mood disorders. These drugs include phenelzine, isocarboxazid, and tranylcypromine. Tell your doctor if you are also taking medications for Parkinson’s disease such as rasagiline and selegiline in the past 14 days. If the IP 204 pill is taken within a period of 14 days of taking these drugs, then it can lead to a high rise in one's blood pressure levels.
- Those who are pregnant or planning to conceive should also let the doctor know the same.
- Those who are nursing a baby or plan to breastfeed the baby.
- Anyone who is taking medications such as methylene blue injections, nalbuphine, linezolid, buprenorphine, pentazocine or butorphanol.
- The doctor should also be made aware of any other drugs whether over-the-counter or prescription ones being taken. It would also include the intake of any dietary supplements, vitamins, or herbal supplements.
- Without the recommendation from the doctor, do not start, stop, or change your medication or its dose to avoid fatal consequences.
There are certain things an individual should be aware of while taking this medication:
- While taking this medication, do not drive or carry out other activities that would need mental alertness.
- To lower the chances of feeling dizzy or passing out all of a sudden, ensure to slowly rise from a lying down or sitting position. Be very careful while going up and down the stairs as well.
- There can be chances that you may experience withdrawal symptoms if you suddenly stop taking this medicine. Thus, it is advisable not to change the drug's dosage without the doctor's recommendation.
- If an individual has been taking this pill for a longer duration or at high doses but does not seem to work, it would be the time when the doctor would recommend higher doses of the medicine, so that the body responds back to the treatment. It is called as tolerance.
- While taking this medicine, try to avoid other sources of acetaminophen. It is always better to go through the label of other medicines since too much acetaminophen can lead to serious consequences.
- In case if you are taking more than 4,000 mg of acetaminophen on a given day, let your doctor know.
- This medicine should not be taken along with other forms of stronger medications or pain patches. It is ideal to first talk to the doctor before taking them.
- It is not a good idea to switch between products that contain the same drugs.
- Individuals who are 65 years old and above should use this medicine with care since the side effects tend to become more severe due to the age factor.
- There are cases wherein taking this medicine can lead to a rise in the chance of seizure attacks in certain individuals, especially those who have a history of seizures.
- Since oxycodone and acetaminophen capsules or tablets are opioid drugs or narcotic analgesics, the long-term use of these medicines can lead to a decrease in the levels of sex hormones. In men, there may be symptoms such as changes in their ability to have sex. In women, they may not experience their menstrual period, may have a lack of interest in sex, or issues related to fertility. Let the doctor know if you experience any of these symptoms.
There are chances that an individual may suffer from serotonin syndrome if this medicine is taken along with other drugs used for depression, migraine, or any other mental issues. Seek immediate medical help if you experience the following symptoms:
- Changes in balance
- Muscle stiffness
- Shivering or tremors
- Persistent diarrhea
- Abnormal heartbeat
- An upset stomach
- Seizure attacks
- Twitching of the muscles
- Severe headache
This pill should be taken exactly as prescribed by the doctor or you can also check the label of the medicine for more detailed instructions on its usage and dosage. It is important to follow all instructions on the usage of this medicine very carefully.
This drug should be taken orally by mouth. It can be either taken with or without food. However, it is better if it is taken along with food to avoid having an upset stomach. It is not advisable to inject or snort this medicine since it can lead to dangerous side effects such as having trouble with breathing or death due to overdose. When taking this medicine, there are also chances that certain laboratory tests can be altered.
In case you missed a dose, you can take it as soon as you remember. However, when it is almost time for the next dose, then skip the missed one and take the scheduled dose. Avoid taking additional doses. Most of the time, doctors recommend this medicine on an as-needed basis and not on a regular basis.
Make sure to store this medicine at room temperature and away from light, moisture, and heat. It should be stored in a dry place and out of children's reach. Ask the doctor or pharmacist on how to properly dispose of unused or expired medicines. This medicine can be habit-forming when used for a longer duration. This drug is a strong pain medication that can put an individual at risk of drug misuse or abuse.
Seek immediate medical help if you experience any of the following side effects:
- Passing out too often or bad instances of dizziness
- Severe signs of allergic reactions such as swollen, red, itchy, or blistered skin, fever, feeling of tightness in the throat or chest, breathing difficulty, swelling of the face, lips, throat, tongue, or mouth, and wheezing
- Symptoms of liver problems such as an upset stomach, abdominal pain, vomiting or throwing up too often, jaundice (skin or eyes turning yellow), dark-colored urine, and a light-colored stool
- Sudden changes in the mood
- Feeling sleepy all the time
- Breathing difficulties
- Fever or chills
- Rapid or slow heartbeat
- Sore throat
- Worsening headache
- Hearing problems
- Vision trouble such as a blurry vision
- Finding it difficult to speak or walk at times
- Loss of memory or finding it difficult to remember places or events
- Swollen arms and legs
- Severe skin reactions
There can also be a rare occurrence of adrenal gland issues. Most of the time, individuals who take this medicine do not encounter any side effects, but when they do, they are only minor ones.